Believe it or not, I did this one wrong the first time also.
Cut the coloured square 5 1/2"
then cut diagonally both ways.
Cut the cross strips 7/8" wide.
Cut 2 cross strips 3 1/2" long.
Cut 1 cross strip 7" long.
Sew together as shown.
I pressed to the dark. There is not enough room inside the back of the cross strip for both seams.
This quilt is a perfect place to try a lot of new techniques because each block is small and different. The sky is the limit for trying new things.
For this block, I traced the center design onto wash-away fusable web. I ironed the cut-out to the back of the background fabric and cut out leaving a scant 1/4" seam allowance.
Cut to the point at those 4 inny curves.
I needle turned the edges under using my favourite #10 milliners needle.
Interesting how lighting can make such a difference in how the colour shows. I took these pictures at 3 different times this past month.
The background fabric is a Kona white that I got as a pre-cut from Craftsy. Even with the white wash-away fusable inside, you can see right through it, although it is not a really thin fabric.
So, what I have decided, now after stitching a few of these by hand, is that I will be doing them by machine applique. I prefer the needle gliding through the fabric and not being pushed through. That is a bit stressful on my hands.