Thursday, May 4, 2017

RSC Colour for May is Green

Yay! The RSC colour this month is Green. 
I took some time at the end of March to plan ahead
 by printing off a lot of foundation patterns from the DJ software 
and choosing colours for a lot of the blocks.

 I am ready to make a few blocks this month. 
 I am using each colour at least twice and some
 of the prints are repeated in the different colours. 
I do not want the same designs side by side.

There will be 20 green blocks and I have 5 almost completed so far.
 So I have one fourth of the blocks done so far on May the fourth no less. 

 None of them are too outrageous 
so we shall see how it goes for the month. 
Stay tuned. 


Wednesday, April 19, 2017


At the end of March I had completed several quilts and had a few minutes to contemplate my colours in anticipation of April's Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I took time to print off all the rest of the foundation patterns and put them into bags. Just to be ready. Since I am doing all these blocks by machine, I did not prep any blocks to take to Poland with me, nor will I take any next week as I go to babysit the little boy grand children.

The colour ended up being mulit-colour and that did not jive with my colour pallet. I wonder what the colour will be for May?


Saturday, March 25, 2017

February and March Rainbow Scrap Challenge

The Feb RSC colour was aqua - turquoise.  I got one block done. 

L-11 Caitlin's Rose

 March RSC colour is red.

D-6 Challenge

 I really out did myself.

D-8 Dee Dee's Delight

 I did not just get one done.

J-8 Anna's Anchor

 Not two.

F-4 Old Windmill

But I got five blocks made. 

E-5 Rising Sun

Wonder what the colour will be for April?


Saturday, January 21, 2017

L-9 Walter's Place

I have one block done this month. I joined the Rainbow Scrap Challenge RSC 2017
to help motivate me to make a few more of these blocks. January's colour was purple. I made one and have 2 more on the machine ready to foundation piece.


I am also trying to complete several other quilts this winter but end up babysitting sick grand children which takes me away from my machines - all three of them loaded with projects on board.


Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Bright Jane Blocks

A few blocks I made at the JT2 Retreat in Shipshewana this past week. It's good to know that I have not forgotten how to do foundation piecing, but should not try to do seven in one day because that is too hard on my arthritic hands.








That's all for this month

Sunday, November 6, 2016

Shipshewana Quilt Retreat

I am packing my bags and project boxes for the Quilt retreat in Shipshewana Indiana later this month. I have about 15 Bright Jane blocks to take along. I will be focusing on foundation piecing. The most blocks I ever did in one day is 5 at a retreat several years ago. They were all foundation pieced and some of the harder blocks, since I did all the easy ones first. Why do I do that?
I have had a busy few months with family and travel and even completed a couple of quilts.

Monday, June 27, 2016

Applique Blocks

I was learning to use Karen K Buckley`s perfect circles for my 1857
sampler quilt and made few for here as well. I machine appliqued them using a white cotton thread. 

B-1 Bachelor Buttons

 I used a wash away fusable for the tear drops. Above you can see the background fabric through the white, but below you cannot.

C-9  Jane`s Tears
I used the fusable for the leaves but not the circles.

F-13  Tour de France

 I was at the Just Takes 2 retreat in Shipshewana back in November and Brenda Papadakis, Dear Jane herself, showed me what I was doing wrong with the back basting technique. I was not using a fat needle to do the basting. With a fat needle, I am using a tapestry 8, the holes in the background fabric become the stitching guidelines. I have used this technique a lot since then and love it. However, it is not so easy to make all sides exactly the same. Hmm. Need more practice.

G-3  Four Leaf Clover