Friday, December 12, 2014

A-7 Dad's Plaids

I started by making a simple 4-patch block by cutting
two 3 inch blocks of white background and
two 3 inch blocks of focus fabric.

I traced the melons from the book and made sure they were a bit smaller so they would fit into the square without coming too close to the corners.
Actually, I cut the wash-away fusable floriani using one of my GO custiom leaf dies. This way, I cut out enough for 3 blocks.
Using the purple Elmer's school glue, I first folded in the points.
 The purple really does disappear.
 Glued down one side.
Then the other side making sure that I got a nice sharp point.
I got some new steel applique gadgets at the AQS back in the summer and am still trying to figure them out. I used my fingers more than the rods.
I am still working on it.  

Using a matching white thread, I took a tiny stitch through each of the center points of the melons in the order I wanted them to be positioned when finished.

Then pulled the threads together so the points all came to the center neatly.
Still working on the neatly.

When I was happy, I glue basted the
melons in place. Then waited for it to dry.

And finally, machine appliqued them in place using a simple straight stitch in matching thread.
I will square it up to 5 inches.

The end.


No comments:

Post a Comment