Monday, May 25, 2015

Thinking About DJ2 Again

I have come across a blog that has all the Dear Jane patterns available for free from Susan Gatewood.
I originally started this blog to provide instruction and encouragement to the class I planned to teach last fall  but everyone dropped out one by one and so I am just working on it whenever. I will not be doing exhaustive tutorials for all the blocks but will try to show the progression as I am working on each block.

I purchased the Dear Jane software when I started my first Dear Jane quilt 6 years ago. It took me about 3-4 years to figure out how to use the program. To be honest, I used to print the foundation patterns that spread the pattern across 2 sheets and then using scissors, I cut them out from the overflow on page 2 and taped them onto one sheet. Some of the pattern pieces were split over 2 pages. I now know how to use the "move" button at the top after I choose print, foundation pattern, preview. Not all the blocks show up and I have since learned to figure out how to do them on my own. And, I finally found where I can make up the layout and colour it in the way I want to. I am still not sure about doing the sashing in that black. I really like how crisp the bright colours look on the white.



I have been surfing the net to find more tutorials for various Jane blocks. Here are some from Granny Maud's Girl.

I recently joined the Singer Feather Weight Facebook group. I have been using my FW for the paper piecing for my Dear Jane and find it great for this. I also used the Featherweight to connect all the sashing strips.


I love how I can flip up the arm to get it out of the way then drop it back down again when I am ready to stitch. I do believe this was the very last block/corner kite to bring the total blocks to 225 using 225 different Civil war reproduction fabrics.

Blessings,
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment